FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: John Reich
Public Relations Officer
ST. PAUL, Minn. - Today, MNsure shared answers to five frequently asked consumer questions about health coverage.
- If You've Paid, You're Covered: If you've applied for coverage through MNsure and paid the premium, then you will have coverage on January 1, 2014.
- If You're Approved for MinnesotaCare or Medical Assistance, You're Covered: If you applied through MNsure and were approved for Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare, you will be covered on January 1. You may not get your member card right away. It will be mailed by the end of December. Your doctor or pharmacy will help you get services. They can check if you qualify through the automated systems.
- Deadlines to Get Covered: You have until midnight on December 31 to pick a plan and a payment method. We strongly encourage you to pay online. If you choose to be billed, then the payment must arrive at MNsure or the health insurance company by close of business on January 10. Any medical care after January 1 will be covered if the payment deadline is met. If your payment arrives after January 10, then coverage will start on February 1.
- If You've Paid, But Don't Yet Have an Insurance Card, You're Covered: You may call the health plan to confirm your enrollment. If the plan has received your enrollment from MNsure, you will be able to receive your member number or a temporary ID card or online ID card you need to access care. Your clinic, pharmacy or hospital will be able to verify your enrollment if you need care before your official ID card arrives. Visit the Minnesota Council of Health Plans website for more information.
- You Have Other Options: If you have applied for coverage through MNsure and think you are eligible for tax credits or would like to just purchase a plan without financial help and you have not received any communication from MNsure including an invoice, a phone call from our contact center, an eligibility notice, or other communication, your application may be one that is currently in process in our system and MNsure cannot guarantee coverage effective January 1, 2014. If you need insurance coverage to begin on January 1, 2014, then we encourage you to purchase health insurance coverage directly from a health insurance company or through a licensed insurance agent.
We will continue to work on your application. When we resolve the issue related to your application, we will contact you and you will have until March 31, 2014, to sign up for health insurance through MNsure that will include any discount from the tax credits.