Coronavirus (COVID-19) Emergency Special Enrollment Period
MNsure is offering a special enrollment period (SEP) for qualified individuals who are currently without insurance in response to the potential growth of coronavirus (COVID-19) cases. This SEP will allow uninsured individuals 30 days to enroll in health insurance coverage through MNsure.
This SEP runs Monday, March 23 through Tuesday, April 21.
- This special enrollment period is for eligible Minnesotans who do not have current health insurance.
- You do not need to be sick to qualify.
- If you are currently enrolled in a qualified health plan through MNsure, you cannot use this special enrollment period to change plans.
Questions about whether you qualify?
Read answers to frequently asked questions about this SEP.
Have you lost or will you lose your employer-sponsored health insurance?
This also may qualify you for a special enrollment period through MNsure. See more about this qualifying life event.
Have you had a decrease or loss of income?
If you are currently enrolled in a qualified health plan through MNsure and your income has decreased, make sure to keep your account updated by reporting your current income to MNsure. You may be eligible for no cost or low-cost coverage, or increased financial help toward paying for your current plan.
How to Enroll
You must select a plan by 11:59 p.m. April 21. Coverage will start Wednesday, April 1. (If you enroll after April 1 and by 11:59 p.m. on April 21, your coverage will have a retroactive start date of April 1.)
If you are new to MNsure:
- Create an account and complete an online application.
- If you are eligible for a qualified health plan (QHP) you'll see an Enroll in Plans button: continue with the steps 2-5 below.
- If you are eligible for Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare, you will not need to continue with the following steps and choose a plan—your plan options will be mailed to you by the Minnesota Department of Human Services in the following weeks.
- Click the Confirm Event button and then select "COVID-19 SEP" as your qualifying life event.
- Click the Shop for Plans button to shop and select a plan. See our guide for shopping for plans.
- Confirm your plan selection. Read the terms and conditions and enter your signature. Click the Sign and Enroll button. See our guide for enrolling and signing. (Note: Once you select a plan, and sign, you will not be able to change plans unless you experience another qualifying life event.)
- The Confirmation screen will display. Click "Go to Dashboard" to see your enrollment status.
If you already have an application with MNsure:
- If you have an application with MNsure but are not currently enrolled, call our Contact Center at the number below for assistance.
- If you are currently enrolled in a qualified health plan through MNsure and have questions about adding an uninsured household member to your plan using this SEP, call our Contact Center at the number below.
Help is Available
- We have a statewide network of expert assisters who can help you apply and enroll, free of charge.
- Get online help to access frequently requested services.
- The MNsure Contact Center is open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday-Friday at 651-539-2099 (855-366-7873 outside the Twin Cities).
Frequently Asked Questions