4/8/2015 10:14:43 AM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Jenni Bowring-McDonough
Media Relations Coordinator
ST. PAUL, Minn.-As Minnesotans file their 2014 tax returns, some are finding they must pay a tax penalty for not enrolling into health coverage last year-and if they did not enroll into 2015 coverage, next year's penalty will be substantially higher. MNsure's special enrollment period is designed to minimize the 2015 penalty and get Minnesotans into quality health coverage, but it won't last. Here are five things to know about this special enrollment period.
1. Paying a tax penalty for no health insurance in 2014? Not covered for 2015, either? This special enrollment period is for you.
2. Time is almost up. Minnesotans have 22 days remaining to take advantage of this limited-time opportunity to enroll into 2015 coverage and reduce the amount of the 2015 tax penalty when filing taxes next year. This special enrollment period ends April 30.
3. Free help is available. In addition to free statewide tax clinics staffed by MNsure-certified navigators and tax experts, free help is available from all MNsure-certified navigators and brokers. Check out MNsure's events calendar and assister directory to find partners statewide.
4. The 2015 tax penalty is much higher than the 2014 penalty. This special enrollment period will help minimize 2015 tax penalties ($325 per adult or two percent of your income, whichever is greater) for those who enroll. Consumers who did not enroll into 2014 health care coverage will still be responsible for the 2014 tax penalty.
5. Taking advantage of this is easy. Apply and enroll online at MNsure.org; call the MNsure Contact Center; answer a few questions to confirm eligibility. Done!
Any consumer with questions should call the MNsure Contact Center at 1-855-366-7873. More information about this is located online at MNsure.org.
Open enrollment for 2015 coverage began November 15, 2014 and ended February 15, 2015. Minnesotans eligible for Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare can enroll year round. As of May 2014, 95 percent of Minnesotans have health coverage-the highest percentage in state history. The 2016 open enrollment period is scheduled to begin November 1, 2015, and end on January 31, 2016.