This policy applies to navigators and certified application counselors (CACs), referred to collectively as assisters in this policy.
Terms and Definitions
- Agency administrator: The person responsible for administration of organizational data, including location address changes, activating or inactivating individual assisters using the agency’s roster, coordination and communication regarding assister certification status, and ensuring individual assister data is current and accurate.
- ARC: Assister Resource Center
- Assister: Navigator or certified application counselor (CAC) certified by MNsure.
- Assister ID: A nine-digit alpha-numeric unique ID issued by the ARC once an assister-in-training has met all certification requirements.
- Assister-in-training: Individuals that have been submitted through an organizational roster to the ARC to complete the certification process. They are an assister-in-training until they have completed the required steps and are notified of their certified status by MNsure.
- Training ID: A unique key issued by the ARC that allows an assister-in-training to log into MNsure’s learning and certification portal in Pathlore. The training ID is typically a seven-digit alpha-numeric key. For individuals who have been issued a Pathlore training ID by a previous employer (such as a county), their existing training ID will be used.
To begin actively assisting consumers through the MNsure marketplace, each individual who will deliver direct consumer assistance through a contracted navigator or CAC organization must be certified through MNsure.
In order to be certified as a navigator or CAC, individuals must meet the following requirements:
- Be associated with an entity that has a valid contract in place with MNsure.
- Submit a background study consent form and pass a background check.
- Complete all required training courses, achieving the minimum passing score on all required assessments.
Assisters-in-training are prohibited from:
- Performing the duties of a certified assister, including helping a consumer with the application and/or enrollment process.
- Calling the ARC for any reason. Assisters-in-training may email the ARC to submit required forms, report technical issues with the training process, or check on their certification status.
- Using their training ID for any other purpose than logging into the MNsure learning and certification portal.
- The assister organization initiates the certification process. An organization roster must be e-mailed by the designated agency administrator to the ARC at email@example.com. Review the Submitting Organization Rosters policy for specific instructions on how to complete the roster.
- Assister-in-training submits a background study consent form to the ARC by secure email or by fax (651-431-7572). Once per week, MNsure submits all newly received background studies to the Minnesota Department of Human Services, Licensing Division for processing. MNsure typically receives results within one week, although results may be delayed if processing requires further investigation. An assister-in-training will be notified of their appeal rights by mail if their background study results in a disqualification.
- Assister-in-training completes required training courses. The current certification requirements for navigators and CACs are published on MNsure’s Navigator One Stop website.
- Around the 1st and 15th of each month, the ARC will initiate the process of creating training IDs for all assisters-in-training whose names have been submitted since the previous training upload. The process to create a training ID may take up to two days. In order to prevent duplicate persons in the training environment, the ARC may contact a new assister to verify past employment.
- Once a training ID has been created, the ARC will e-mail the assister-in-training their training ID, instructions on accessing the MNsure online learning and certification portal, and the current training requirements for certification.
- The ARC will evaluate the status of assisters-in-training on a weekly basis.
- Assisters-in-training that have completed a background check and completed all required training will be submitted to MNsure’s general counsel as the MNsure Board of Directors designee, for certification approval.
- Once approved, the ARC will send an e-mail to the newly certified assister with their MNsure Assister ID.
- Assisters-in-training who meet the requirements for assister portal access will be enrolled in the assister portal once their certification has been approved.
References and Related Documents