skip to content
Primary navigation

Tax Information

Use the information on this page to help consumers understand health insurance tax documents.

See Resource Links on this page for information on about federal tax filing requirement and the forms used for reporting health coverage.

Assister Role

  • Assisters should not provide advice to consumers on tax issues in their assister role.
  • Assisters may share information and resources with consumers so they are aware of their responsibilities.
  • We strongly recommend you refer consumers to tax professionals. Free tax assistance is available for low income consumers.

Tax Credit Reconciliation

Assisted QHPs: Individuals will need the information on IRS Form 1095-A to reconcile advanced premium tax credit payments made on their behalf or to claim the premium tax credit if they are eligible.

  • Individuals do not need to file Form 1095-A with their taxes.
  • Individuals do need information from Form 1095-A to complete and file Form 8962 (Premium Tax Credit).
  • MNsure will mail the IRS Form 1095-A to consumers who were enrolled in a qualified health plan by January 31.

Resource: 1095-A Reference Guide for Assisters (PDF)

Unassisted QHPs: Consumers who enrolled through MNsure can claim a premium tax credit when filing their taxes even if they applied “without financial help.” If APTC payments were not applied to the enrollee's QHP coverage for any month during the tax year, and the QHP enrollee now wants to claim the premium tax credit for the tax year, the enrollee needs to:

Federal Tax Filing Requirements

Medical Assistance and MinnesotaCare: Getting Form 1095-B does not mean that an enrollee is required to file a federal tax return. Enrollees should check and the Form 1040 instructions to determine whether they must file a federal income tax return.

1095-B FAQ - New for Tax Year 2020

  • An enrollee who files taxes does not need to attach Form 1095-B to his or her tax return. The enrollee should keep the form for his or her records.
  • An enrollee who does not file a federal income tax return should also keep Form 1095-B for his or her records.

QHPs: Consumers who purchased a QHP through MNsure and are receiving APTC, or wish to claim the premium tax credit, must file taxes with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

  • If they fail to file taxes, they will not be eligible for premium tax credits in the future.
  • In addition, the IRS may contact a consumer to pay back some or all of the advance payments of the premium tax credit.
back to top