Renewals and Open Enrollment
Who Renews and When?
- Qualified health plans (QHPs): Consumers can renew their coverage during the annual open enrollment period.
- Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare (public programs): Consumers will be notified by DHS about their renewal period and the steps to take to renew their eligibility.
- Mixed-eligibility households: QHP eligible members follow the same renewal process as QHP-only households and public program members follow instructions from DHS.
Renewal of QHP Coverage
MNsure begins processing renewals on September 19, consumer eligibility for 2023 coverage may not be determined correctly if their application is not accurate. It is important to remind consumers to review their applications for accuracy and report changes in a timely manner.
Following the renewal batch period, consumers who are currently eligible to purchase a QHP and are enrolled through MNsure will have their eligibility and their current 2022 plan automatically renewed for 2023, including any updated tax credit amount. During the 2023 open enrollment period, consumers can:
- Shop and enroll in a 2023 similar plan if their existing 2022 plan is no longer available.
- Change their plan for 2023
- Report any changes/life events that may affect their eligibility.
See the most common renewal scenarios and steps to take to help these consumers renew their coverage.
Tips for Assisting with Renewals
- Activate your access to the assister portal so that you can become familiar with it and help enrollees complete the renewal process as efficiently as possible.
- If a consumer has application changes to report, make sure they have the correct supporting documentation.
- Consumers may receive multiple notices and should refer to the most current dated notice if they have more than one.
- Some notices will be viewable in the consumer's account in the eligibility section under "My Notifications."
- FAQ about renewing coverage can be found on MNsure.org.
- Look for a logo on the renewal notice. It will display the servicing agency that should be contacted regarding the renewal.
Timeline for 2023 Renewals and Open Enrollment
September/October: MNsure will undergo its 2023 QHP renewals process.
- The Health Care Eligibility Renewal Notice is sent to consumers when their eligibility has been automatically renewed for 2023.
- The Health Care Renewal Notice is sent to consumers who cannot be automatically renewed due to a member of the household being potentially eligible for public coverage.
October - December: MNsure and DHS will jointly work consumer accounts that cannot be automatically renewed.
- Consumers who fail to be automatically renewed and receive the Health Care Renewal Notice will need to submit the form to DHS before 2023 QHP eligibility can be determined.
- There will be other consumers who fail to be automatically renewed and their cases will need to be manually processed by MNsure Ops before their 2023 QHP eligibility can be determined.
November 1 through January 15: Open enrollment period.
- Consumers who are determined eligible to purchase a QHP in 2023 can shop for plans to receive coverage in 2023.
- Consumers who have existing eligibility to purchase a QHP in 2022, but never enrolled can enroll if they qualify for an SEP.
- December 15 is the last day to select a plan for coverage that starts January 1, 2023, and January 15 is the last day to select a plan for coverage that starts February 1, 2023.