For 2020 enrollments, all AORs must be created through the assister portal using the “Manage Assister” feature in the consumer’s MNsure account.
There are some circumstances where this option will not be available and an AOR must be submitted via an alternate process:
The consumer is unable to gain access to an online MNsure account because they applied using the paper application process. The Broker Service Line will be able to provide two options for paper applications depending on the status of the case.
In some cases, the BSL can offer to close the case for the consumer. After that is done, you can assist them with creating a MNsure online account and a new online application.
Once the account is created and enrollment is submitted, this will enable you and your client to:
- Access the “Manage Assister” functionality through your client’s MNsure account to set up an association/agent of record.
- Access the dashboard to enroll, change, and cancel coverage as well as check enrollment status and enrollment related notices.
If this option is available and chosen, it is very important that you ensure the following information exactly matches the previous paper application case. The Broker Service Line will provide you this information as needed at the time of case closure.
- Primary applicant (including how name is spelled)
- Order of household members
- Date of birth information
- SSN information
Important Notes about Reapplying
- If the information entered on the new application submitted does not match the previous application, your client will be unable to access the benefits of the enrollment platform.
- You should complete the new online application as soon as possible. If there is not already an enrollment for 2020, an enrollment must be completed prior to the end of open enrollment or your client will not have coverage.
- Once you reapply for your client, you will be able to associate through the Assister Portal, select a QHP or update their current QHP plan as needed.
Option 2: Case Cannot be Closed
If the case cannot be closed, the Broker Service Line can assist you with enrolling, updating, and/or cancelling coverage for the consumer.
If this option for the paper application due to the circumstances is used, a manual AOR must be submitted as outlined below.
Retroactive AORs are needed where a broker is unable to make an association with a consumer’s account for the original effective date of the consumer’s policy. An assister portal association using the “Manage Assister” feature in the consumer’s MNsure account is required as soon as the consumer is able to make the association in order to be paid commissions from the insurance company going forward.
The AOR policy posted on the Policies and Procedures page of Broker One Stop has more information on the alternate options and procedures.
Manual AOR Process
To request a manual AOR, navigate to the Contact us page on Assister Central. From there, select AOR request from the drop down. Once the Broker Service Line receives your manual AOR request, we will send you a secure email asking for information pertaining to your request. After receiving the requested information, the Broker Service Line will send you a pre-populated manual AOR form to complete with your client. Return this to the Broker Service Line as soon as possible for us to forward your AOR information to the insurance carrier.
Please allow 30 days of processing at both MNsure and insurance carrier levels for all requests manual AORs.
Tips for Assister Portal Associations
Encourage the consumer to enter your MNsure assister portal reference number as soon as you begin working with them. This will assure that you have the association starting on the consumer’s effective date of coverage.
To assist your client in completing an association through their online account, utilize the step-by-step process located on Assister Central.
Agent of Record Policy
Broker Inquiry Form
Minnesota Statutes, section 62V. 051