skip to content
Primary navigation

IRS Form 1095-A

You should receive your IRS Form 1095-A by early February.

Get a copy of your 1095-A   Frequently asked questions

What is IRS Form 1095-A?

If you or members of your family enrolled in a private health plan through MNsure, you will receive IRS Form 1095-A (Health Insurance Marketplace Statement). MNsure mails IRS Form 1095-A to you and provides a copy of this information to the IRS. You will not receive Form 1095-A if you were enrolled in a catastrophic health plan or a dental-only plan.

The 1095-A form provides information that you will need to report any advanced premium tax credit (APTC) you may have received during the tax year, or to claim the premium tax credit on your annual tax return. The information on Form 1095-A is used to complete IRS Form 8962 (Premium Tax Credit) with your federal tax return. Form 8962 is used to compare how much tax credit you used in the last tax year to what you qualify for.

You will get one Form 1095-A for each private health plan in which you or members of your household were enrolled during the tax year. You may receive multiple forms for one or more of the following reasons:

  • Have members of your household enrolled in different plans.
  • A switch in health insurance companies or plans.
  • A gap in private health coverage through MNsure.
  • A change in primary enrollee.
  • MNsure sends you a corrected or voided 1095-A form.

IRS Forms 1095-B and -C

You may receive forms to help report health coverage information that will not come from MNsure.

  • If you got your health insurance through an employer, you may receive IRS Form 1095-B or Form 1095-C. If you have questions about either form contact your employer's human resources representative.
  • If anyone in your household got their health coverage through MinnesotaCare or Medical Assistance, you can request IRS Form 1095-B from the Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS). For information about this form, visit the DHS website.
  • If some members of your household enrolled in a private health plan and other members enrolled in Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare, you will receive Form 1095-A for only those family members enrolled in a private health plan.

Additional Resources and Links

MNsure cannot give you tax advice or answer any tax-related questions. Please visit to get more information on these topics. The IRS can help answer:

  • How do I use IRS Form 1095-A to fill out my IRS Form 8962?
  • What happens if I don't file my income tax return?
  • I received a corrected Form 1095-A, do I need to amend my income tax return?

Web Resources:

back to top