skip to content
Primary navigation

Enrolled in Coverage Outside of MNsure and Income Decreases

If you were enrolled in health insurance coverage outside of MNsure ("off MNsure") and your income decreased making you eligible for advanced premium tax credits, you may qualify for a special enrollment period (SEP) to enroll in lower cost health insurance through MNsure.


You may qualify for this SEP if ALL of the following is true:

  • Your household's income has recently decreased.
  • You were enrolled in minimum essential coverage (MEC) outside of MNsure at least one day in the 60 days right before your household income decreased.
  • You are newly eligible for advanced premium tax credits.

If this sounds like your situation, call us and see if we can help. The MNsure Contact Center can be reached at 651-539-2099 (800-366-7873 outside the Twin Cities).

Key Dates

  • 60-day SEP begins: The day after your household income decreased. If you know your income will be decreasing in the near future, you must wait until the decrease in income occurs. 
  • When you can enroll: Any time during the 60-day window of your SEP once your qualifying life event is verified.
    New customers: To avoid a gap in coverage you can create an account and apply at any time, even before your SEP window starts.
  • When your coverage starts: The first day of the month following the date you select your plan.

Verification Documents

Be prepared to send a copy of at least one of these documents to prove your household's income has recently decreased:

  • Employer notice showing the date the rate of pay was decreased. 
  • Pay stubs that show a decrease in the hourly wage amount or hours worked between a previous pay stub and the most recent pay stub.
  • If you are self-employed, MNsure will work with you to identify the documents needed to verify the date your income decreased.

Be prepared to send verification that you had previous coverage outside of MNsure:

  • Document from your previous health insurance company showing when your previous coverage ended and that you were enrolled in this coverage for at least one day in the 60 days right before your income decreased.

How and when do I send documents?

During the SEP application process you'll be instructed on how to send verification documents. It is very important that you send your verification documents right away. MNsure must receive your documents and have enough time to process them for you to have time to select a plan before your 60-day SEP window expires. Failure to submit your verification documents in a timely manner may result in you becoming ineligible for this SEP. 

Apply for this SEP

To apply for this SEP, make sure you have the required documents at hand and call the MNsure Contact Center at 651-539-2099 (800-366-7873 outside the Twin Cities).

back to top