How to Apply WITHOUT Financial Help
Set aside enough time to complete the application and enroll in a plan in one sitting. We recommend you do not save your work part way through and come back later.
Who Can Use this Application?
Anyone who needs health coverage can use this application.
Get Help with Costs
You need to use a different application to get help with costs. You could qualify for:
- A tax credit that can immediately help pay your premiums for health coverage
- Free or low-cost coverage from Medical Assistance (MA) or MinnesotaCare
You may qualify for financial help even if you earn as much as $98,400 a year (for a family of 4). Learn more about financial help.
Step 1. Primary Contact
We will need one adult in the family to be the contact person for your application.
Enter information including your name, address, Social Security number, and citizenship or immigration status.
We need Social Security numbers (SSNs) for anyone who wants coverage. We use SSNs to verify citizenship. If someone doesn’t have an SSN, visit www.socialsecurity.gov or call 1-800‑772‑1213. TTY users should call 1-800‑325‑0778.
Step 2. Members of Your Household Who want Health Coverage
Family members who may be eligible to be included under a family health plan include:
- Your spouse
- Your children under 21
- Adult children ages 21-26
- Children who do not live with you
- Children who are not included on your federal income tax return
- Your unmarried partner who needs health coverage
- Anyone you include on your federal income tax return, even if they do not live with you
- Anyone else under 21 who you take care of and lives with you
- Grandchildren who have resided with you continuously from birth and who are financially dependent upon you or your covered spouse
- Children for whom you or your spouse are legal guardian
Step 3. Other Health Care Coverage
Medicare beneficiaries are generally not eligible to purchase insurance through MNsure. If you answer “Yes” to at least one of the questions in this section and you or a family member is seeking supplemental coverage, please contact the Senior LinkAge Line at 1-800-333-2433 to learn more.
Step 4. American Indian or Alaska Native Family Members
Enter information about members of your household who are American Indian or Alaska Native.
Step 5. Read and Sign the Application
The person who filled out step 1 should sign this application. If you are an authorized representative, you may sign here as long as you have provided the information required.