Released from Incarceration
You may qualify for a special enrollment period (SEP) if you are released from incarceration (done serving a term in prison or jail).
Apply for a SEP.
Be prepared to send a copy the release documents from the department of corrections or correctional facility showing your name and release date.
Documents must show that you were released from incarceration within the past 60 days.
How and when do I send documents?
During the SEP application process you'll be instructed on how to send verifying documents, if they are needed. If needed, MNsure must receive your verification before the 60-day SEP window expires.
- 60-day SEP begins: Date of release.
- When you can enroll: Any time during the 60-day window of your SEP once your qualifying life event is verified.
- When your coverage starts:
- If we received your plan selection the 1st through the 15th of the month, your coverage starts the following month.
- If we received your plan selection the 16th through the end of the month, your coverage starts the 1st of the second following month.