Unaffordable Non-Calendar-Year Family Insurance through an Employer
A time-limited special enrollment period (SEP) is available to individuals who are enrolled in unaffordable non-calendar-year family insurance through an employer (health insurance offered to an employee’s spouse or dependent children that does not renew on January 1 of the calendar year).
Eligible individuals may voluntarily end their current family employer coverage, before the plan’s renewal month, and enroll in private coverage through MNsure and save on premiums with a tax credit.
IMPORTANT: Do not end your family employer-sponsored insurance while waiting to receive an official eligibility determination from MNsure. If you have questions about your options between employer-sponsored insurance or coverage through MNsure you can get free help from a MNsure-certified broker.
Who is Eligible
To qualify for this SEP, an individual must meet ALL the following criteria:
- Eligible to purchase a private qualified health plan (QHP) through MNsure.
- Last day of coverage under an employer’s non-calendar-year family plan is during this SEP's time frame (April 17-October 31).
- Does not have access to or is unable to enroll in affordable employee-only or family employer-sponsored insurance at the time of applying for this SEP. (The Employer Insurance Affordability Estimator gives estimates on whether family employer-sponsored insurance may be considered unaffordable.)
- Eligible for a monthly advanced premium tax credit (APTC) amount greater than $0 effective the first day of the month after their last day of coverage through their unaffordable non-calendar-year family employer plan (MNsure’s shop and compare tool gives estimates on eligibility for APTC.)
- This SEP is open from April 17, 2023, through October 31, 2023.
- SEP window: 30 days before and 30 days after the individual's last day of family employer-sponsored coverage.
- When coverage starts: The first day of the month following the date a plan was selected through MNsure, but not before the first day of the month after the month in which employer-sponsored health coverage ends.
Apply for this SEP
To apply for this SEP, call our Contact Center at 651-539-2099 (855-366-7873 outside the Twin Cities).