Divorce, Legal Separation or Death
You may qualify for a special enrollment period (SEP) if you are enrolled in private health coverage through MNsure and lose that coverage due to divorce, legal separation, or death.
- 60-day SEP begins: Date of death or date of divorce.
- When you can enroll: Any time during the 60-day window of your SEP once your qualifying life event is verified.
- For divorce or legal separation, your coverage starts:
- If we received your plan selection the 1st-15th of the month, coverage begins the following month.
- If we received your plan selection the 16th-end of month, coverage begins the 1st of the second following month.
- For death, your coverage starts: the first day of the month following the date you selected your plan, OR:
- If we received your plan selection the 1st-15th of month, coverage begins the following month.
- If we received your plan selection the 16th-end of month, coverage begins 1st of the second following month.
Be prepared to send a copy of at least one of the documents below:
- Court order with the date of divorce or legal separation
- Death certificate
- Public notice of death (example: published obituary)
Documents must show that you (or your dependent) lost private health coverage you enrolled in through MNsure due to divorce, legal separation, or death in the past 60 days. These documents must include the enrollee’s name and the date of divorce, legal separation or death.
How and when do I send documents?
During the SEP application process you'll be instructed on how to send verifying documents, if they are needed. MNsure must receive your documents and have enough time to process them for you to have time to select a plan before your 60-day SEP window expires.
Apply for this SEP
Follow these steps to apply for this SEP.