skip to content
Primary navigation

Apply for Coverage

Depending on your situation, buying health insurance can be simple or complicated. You can do it yourself or get someone to help you every step of the way. 

To enroll in health insurance outside of open enrollment, you'll need to qualify for a special enrollment period or for Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare.

You can get a quick estimate for what financial assistance you may qualify for with these income guidelines.

Get Free Local Help

Get free in-person help from an enrollment expert (MNsure-certified assister).

Do It Yourself

Get step-by-step instructions on how to apply and enroll, tips and more.

Application FAQ

Find answers to frequently asked question about the application and enrollment process.

Special Enrollment Period

Special enrollment period (SEP) is a time outside open enrollment when you can enroll in private health insurance. Some SEP events also allow for special effective dates for when coverage starts. See if you qualify.

Who Can Enroll?

Any Minnesota resident who is a US citizen, US resident, or lawfully present can purchase health insurance through MNsure. Small businesses with up to 50 employees can use MNsure.

back to top