Role of a Navigator
Organizations that serve as navigators/in-person assisters are contracted to:
- Provide individuals and families with free assistance to help them achieve successful enrollments into health coverage through the MNsure marketplace
- Attempt to provide assistance to any consumer who contacts them for help
- Have certified navigators listed on the MNsure Assister Directory
- Comply with MNsure's data privacy and security standards and conflict of interest disclosure requirements
Becoming a Partner
Navigator organizations are formally contracted partners with MNsure and are not insurance agents or brokers. To become a partner, organizations must submit an application. MNsure is accepting applications on a rolling basis for a contract period beginning no earlier than July 1, 2019, and ending June 30, 2022.
Organizations will be notified of the outcome of their application. If approved, a contract will be sent to the organization for review and signature.
Submit questions to: email@example.com
A sample contract is available: MNsure Grant Services Contract Navigator/In-Person Assister Attachment A (PDF)
Training and Certification
Before actively assisting consumers through the MNsure marketplace, each staff member who will deliver direct consumer assistance at your organization must be certified by MNsure.
Once a contract is executed with the organization, the Assister Resource Center will send the organization's primary contact the background check forms and instructions for submitting a roster of all staff members who require certification.
After a contract is executed with the organization, the organization may submit a staff roster through their online Agency Management Program (AMP) account.
To be certified, staff must:
- Pass a background check
- Complete training and pass knowledge assessments
Training is available online, so courses can be taken when convenient. Training will:
- Include web-based knowledge assessments
- Most likely take less than 20 hours to complete
Certification is confirmed once a background check has cleared, training has been completed, and knowledge assessments have been passed. Once an individual is certified, they will receive a unique assister ID number to use when assisting consumers.
The Assister Resource Center (ARC) provides ongoing support and information to certified assisters. During the contracting process, questions can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contracted organizations will be paid quarterly:
- $70 per individual enrolled in Medical Assistance by the Minnesota Department of Human Services
- $70 per individual enrolled in MinnesotaCare by the Minnesota Department of Human Services
- $70 per individual enrolled in a qualified health plan (QHP) by MNsure
To contract with MNsure an organization must provide a DUNS number (how to obtain a DUNS number) and SWIFT Vendor ID (how to obtain a SWIFT Vendor ID).