You may qualify for a special enrollment period (SEP) if your household size changes because you got married.
Apply for a SEP.
Be prepared to send a copy of the marriage certificate:
- The marriage certificate must show your name and the date of marriage.
- The date of marriage must be within the past 60 days.
You also may need to send a copy of one of the following documents to prove that you or your spouse had health care coverage prior to the date of marriage (*see exceptions)
- Coverage closure or termination letter showing the last date of coverage within 60 days of the date marriage
- Documentation of premiums paid or invoice within 60 days of the date of marriage
- HIPAA certification showing coverage within 60 days of the date of marriage
- Pay stub documenting employer/insurance deduction within 60 days of the date of marriage
- Other documentation showing that the last date of coverage was within 60 days of the date of marriage
*Exceptions: Prior coverage does not need to be proved if one or more of the following conditions apply to you or your spouse:
- Enrolled in coverage through MNsure
- Member of a federally recognized tribe
- Lived in a foreign country, or a United States territory, or a service area where no qualified health plans were available, for one or more days during the 60 days prior to the date of marriage. For these situations, send a signed written statement under penalty of perjury stating one of these reasons for why you did not have health care coverage prior to the marriage.
How and when do I send documents?
During the SEP application process you'll be instructed on how to send verifying documents, if they are needed. If needed, MNsure must receive your verification before the 60-day SEP window expires.
- 60-day SEP begins: Date of marriage.
- When you can enroll: Any time during the 60-day window of your SEP once your qualifying life event is verified.
- When your coverage starts: The first day of the month following the date when you selected your plan.
Note: You may have other options available. Please call our Contact Center to learn more.