You may qualify for a special enrollment period (SEP) if your household size changes because you got married.
Be prepared to send a copy of the marriage certificate:
- The marriage certificate must show your name and the date of marriage.
- The date of marriage must be within the past 60 days.
You also may need to send a copy of one of the following documents to prove that you or your spouse had health care coverage prior to the date of marriage (*see exceptions)
- Coverage closure or termination letter showing the last date of coverage within 60 days of the date marriage
- Documentation of premiums paid or invoice within 60 days of the date of marriage
- HIPAA certification showing coverage within 60 days of the date of marriage
- Pay stub documenting employer/insurance deduction within 60 days of the date of marriage
- Other documentation showing that the last date of coverage was within 60 days of the date of marriage
*Exceptions: Prior coverage does not need to be proved if one or more of the following conditions apply to you or your spouse:
- Enrolled in coverage through MNsure
- Member of a federally recognized tribe
- Lived in a foreign country, or a United States territory, or a service area where no qualified health plans were available, for one or more days during the 60 days prior to the date of marriage. For these situations, send a signed written statement under penalty of perjury stating one of these reasons for why you did not have health care coverage prior to the marriage.
How and when do I send documents?
During the SEP application process you'll be instructed on how to send verifying documents, if they are needed. MNsure must receive your documents and have enough time to process them for you to have time to select a plan before your 60-day SEP window expires.
Apply for this SEP
Follow these steps to apply for this SEP.
- 60-day SEP begins: Date of marriage.
- When you can enroll: Any time during the 60-day window of your SEP once your qualifying life event is verified.
- When your coverage starts: The first day of the month following the date when you selected your plan.
Note: You may have other options available. Please call our Contact Center to learn more.