Adoption, Foster Care, Child Support or Court Order
You may qualify for a special enrollment period (SEP) if you gained or lost a dependent through adoption, foster care, child support or other court order.
Apply for a SEP.
Be prepared to send a copy of at least one of the documents below:
- The court order defining the adoption, foster care or placement for adoption or foster care
- Court order defining child support
- Other court order
Documents must show that you adopted, had a foster care placement or were ordered by the court to provide coverage in the past 60 days. The documents must include your name, the dependent’s name and the effective date of the action.
How and when do I send documents?
During the SEP application process you'll be instructed on how to send verifying documents, if they are needed. If needed, MNsure must receive your verification before the 60-day SEP window expires.
- 60-day SEP begins: Date of adoption or court order.
- When you can enroll: Any time during the 60-day window of your SEP once your qualifying life event is verified.
- When your coverage starts: the date of adoption, placement, or court order.
Note: You may have other options available. Please call our Contact Center to learn more.