skip to content
Primary navigation

Lost or Will Lose Health Coverage

You may qualify for a special enrollment period (SEP) if you lost or will lose "minimum essential coverage" because of any of the following: 

  • You or your dependent loses employer-sponsored coverage (includes end of continuation coverage such as COBRA and retiree coverage)
  • There’s been a change to a dependent’s status, such as turning 26 years old and losing coverage through a parent’s plan*
  • An employer ends your coverage
  • You or your spouse lose employer-sponsored coverage when you lose or leave a job
  • You've reached the end of your non-calendar-year plan
  • You lose coverage in Medical Assistance (MA) or MinnesotaCare
  • You lose other government-sponsored coverage such as most types of TRICARE

Voluntary loss of coverage because you did not pay your premium on time, including COBRA premiums, does not qualify for a SEP. 

Key Dates

  • 60-day SEP begins: The last date you or your dependent is covered by (or eligible for) a qualifying health plan.
  • When you can enroll: Any time during the 60-day window of your SEP once your qualifying life event is verified. An individual or dependent can apply for this SEP during the 60 days prior to loss of coverage to avoid a gap in health care coverage.
    • *Dependents who turn 26 years old can stay enrolled in their parents’ plan the entire year in which they turn 26 (if the family’s coverage was purchased through MNsure), and then enroll in their own coverage during the open enrollment period for the following year (starting with January 1, 2024).
    • New customers: You can create an account and apply at any time, even before your SEP window starts.
  • When your coverage starts: The first day of the month following the date when you selected your plan, but not before your other qualifying health coverage ends.

Verification Documents

Be prepared to send a copy of at least one of the documents below:

  • Employer plan notice that indicates the type of coverage lost and the last date of coverage.
  • Letter from employer that indicates the type of coverage lost and the last date of coverage.
  • Letter from health insurance company that indicates the type of coverage lost and the last date of coverage.
  • Notice of loss of benefits from a state or federal government program such as Medical Assistance, MinnesotaCare, Medicare or TRICARE. Note: Documentation may not be required if MNsure already has information about the loss of your Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare coverage. You can call the Contact Center to check if verification is needed.

Documents must show that you lost qualifying health coverage in the past 60 days or that you will lose coverage in the next 60 days. These documents must include your name, the coverage type and the last day of coverage.

How and when do I send documents?

During the SEP application process you'll be instructed on how to send verifying documents, if they are needed. MNsure must receive your documents and have enough time to process them for you to have time to select a plan before your 60-day SEP window expires. 

Apply for this SEP

Follow these steps to apply for this SEP.

back to top