skip to content
Primary navigation

Immigration Status and Supporting Documents

Immigration Status

Applicants who indicate they are lawfully present will need to select one of the following immigration statuses when they fill out the application: 

  • American Indian born in Canada (289 INA)
  • Amerasian noncitizen
  • Asylee
  • Battered noncitizen
  • Conditional Entrant
  • Cuban/Haitian entrant
  • Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals
  • Deportation being withheld under 243(h) of INA or 231(b)(3) of INA
  • Lawful permanent resident (LPR)
  • Paroled for at least one year
  • Refugee
  • Special Iraqi/Afghani immigrant
  • Victim of severe trafficking (LPR or T Visa)
  • Withholding of removal
  • Temporary nonimmigrant
  • Other

Supporting Documentation

Applicants may need to have one or more of the following documents to refer to when applying. For most of these documents the applicant will need to enter the alien number (also called alien registration number or USCIS number) and the document expiration date, or a SEVIS ID. Alien numbers start with an “A” followed by eight or nine numbers. For more information on immigration document types, including where to find the alien number on a particular document, visit

Applicants may also be required to verify their immigration status by providing a copy of one or more of the following documents and the date they entered the U.S.

  • DS2019 (certification of eligibility for exchange visitor (J-1) status)
  • I-20 (certificate of eligibility for nonimmigrant (F-1) student status)
  • I-327 (reentry permit)
  • I-551 (permanent resident card or "Green Card")
  • I-571 (refugee travel document)
  • I-688 (temporary resident card)
  • I-688A (employment authorization card)
  • I-688B (employment authorization document)
  • I-766 (employment authorization card)
  • I-94 (arrival/departure record)
  • I-94 (arrival/departure record) in unexpired foreign passport
  • Machine readable immigrant visa with temporary/I-551 language
  • Naturalization certificate
  • Temporary I-551 stamp in unexpired foreign passport
  • Other (Must provide the document title.) Examples of other document types include but not limited to:
    • Office of Refugee Resettlement
    • Document indicating withholding of removal
    • Administrative order staying removal issued by the Department of Homeland Security
    • Form I-360 Prima Facie Determinations

For more information about immigration documents in general, call the USCIS National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283 or visit

back to top