If you qualify for a special enrollment period (SEP), you usually have up to 60 days following the event to enroll in a plan. The date you select your plan during a SEP determines your coverage start date: make sure you understand the key dates for your life event.
Help is available: You can get expert help applying for a SEP from an assister near you.
If you do not have an application started with MNsure you will first need to create an account and complete an application. This will determine if you are eligible to enroll in a private plan (qualified health plan) through MNsure, and if you are eligible for financial help. If you qualify for Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare, you will not need to continue with the following steps and choose a plan—your plan options will be mailed to you by the Minnesota Department of Human Services.
1. Sign in to your account and navigate to your enrollment dashboard. (See how to get to your enrollment dashboard.)
2. Under Next Steps, click CONFIRM EVENT.
3. Select your life event and enter the date it occurred. (More information on events and event dates.)
4. Click Continue and then Confirm if the information is correct.
5. A page will display with instructions on how to send documents to us that verify your life event.
6. After we receive your documents, we’ll send you confirmation through your enrollment dashboard inbox and by mail whether your SEP has been approved or denied, or if we need more information from you.
7. Once you get notified your SEP is approved, go to your enrollment dashboard and shop for and enroll in a plan.
8. Pay the first month's premium to your insurance company. Your coverage will not start until you complete this step.