skip to content
Primary navigation

MNsure Offers Lower-Cost COBRA Alternative

Losing Job-Based Health Insurance?

For people who have experienced a job loss, COBRA (the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act) coverage can be expensive. Did you know MNsure provides an alternative that could save you money?

If you leave or lose your job for any reason, and lose your job-based coverage, you can choose to buy health insurance through MNsure as an alternative to COBRA.

Why would I choose MNsure instead of COBRA?

  • COBRA can be expensive. Insurance available through MNsure typically has a lower monthly premium cost.
  • MNsure is the only place where you can qualify for financial help to lower your costs. You may get a tax credit or qualify for low-cost or no-cost insurance.

When can I enroll in MNsure?

Losing job-based insurance coverage qualifies you for a 60-day special enrollment period that allows you to buy insurance outside the regular open enrollment period. You can apply for a plan during the 60 days before loss of coverage to avoid a gap in your coverage.

If you are eligible for Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare, you can enroll at any time.

How do I apply for a special enrollment?

Follow these steps to apply.

What if I already enrolled in COBRA? Can I switch to MNsure?

Yes, if you are enrolled in COBRA coverage, you can switch to a MNsure plan:

back to top