Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP)
MNsure will not be offering SHOP plans in 2018. MNsure, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota and Delta Dental are working together to smoothly transition groups into off-exchange plans if they are interested in doing so when their group approaches its 2018 renewal date.
- Current SHOP enrollees will continue to have SHOP coverage until their group’s specific renewal date in 2018. During this time, MNsure will continue to provide operational support to SHOP groups, including processing of new hires and employee terminations, employer changes and premium invoicing.
- MNsure SHOP and insurance companies will provide additional communication and direction to currently enrolled employers, employees and brokers as each SHOP group approaches its 2018 renewal date.
- In mid-October 2017, MNsure sent notices to employers with a January 1, 2018, effective date that confirms their group's last date of coverage. This notice also included information about how to work with insurance companies to enroll in off-exchange coverage.
- Employees enrolled in SHOP plans with a January 1, 2018, renewal date received a 30-day notification that their SHOP coverage is ending.
- MNsure will be working with the federal government to determine how small businesses can access the tax credits that they are eligible for under the Affordable Care Act.
This does not affect the almost 130,000 Minnesotans—early retirees, self-employed and others—enrolled through MNsure on an individual basis, or the rest of the small group market.