skip to content
Primary navigation

IRS Form 1095-A

MNsure mails IRS Form 1095-A to you if you or members of your family enrolled in a private health plan through MNsure. MNsure also provides a copy of the 1095-A information to the IRS.

What is Form 1095-A?

IRS Form 1095-A (Health Insurance Marketplace Statement) provides information that you will need to file your annual federal taxes if advanced premium tax credit payments (APTC) were applied to your insurance premiums or if you want to claim the premium tax credit on your annual tax return. You use the information on Form 1095-A to reconcile APTC payments on IRS Form 8962. Form 8962 is used to compare how much tax credit you used in the last tax year to what you qualify for.

You will get one form 1095-A for each private health plan in which you or members of your household were enrolled during the tax year.

You may receive multiple form 1095-As if you:

  • Changed plans in the middle of the year
  • Added or removed members from a plan during the year
  • Have members of your household in enrolled in different plans

What is Form 1095-B?

MinnesotaCare and Medical Assistance enrollees may receive an IRS Form 1095-B from the Department of Human Services (DHS).

If some members of your household enrolled in a private health plan and other members enrolled in Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare, you will receive form 1095-A for only those family members enrolled in a private health plan.  You will receive a form 1095-B for those members of your household who were enrolled in Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare. You do not need to wait for the 1095-B to file your taxes.

Why Form 1095-A is Important

The information on IRS Form 1095-A will help you report your health insurance coverage and any financial help you may have received last year to the IRS. If you received financial help, it was either in the form of an advance premium tax credit, or you may have opted to file for a premium tax credit when you complete your yearly income tax return.

  • If you or someone else in your household would like to claim a premium tax credit on your annual federal tax return, you must file IRS Form 8962 (Premium Tax Credit). You will use the information on IRS Form 1095-A when you complete form 8962 (see the back of 1095-A for additional information).
  • If advanced premium tax credits (APTC) were paid on your behalf or on behalf of someone in your household, you are required to file a federal income tax return with IRS Form 8962 for the year in which you received APTC. If you do not file a federal tax return, you will not be eligible for APTC and cost-sharing reductions in the future. 

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Tax-Related Questions

MNsure cannot give you tax advice or answer any questions about how to complete Form 8962 or other tax-related questions.

Please visit to get more information on these topics. The IRS can help answer:

  • How do I use IRS Form 1095-A to fill out my IRS Form 8962?
  • What happens if I don't file my income tax return?
  • I received a corrected form 1095-A, do I need to amend my income tax return?

Additional Resources and Links

back to top