Gain Lawful Presence or Citizenship
You may qualify for a special enrollment period (SEP) if you gain citizenship or lawfully present status making you newly eligible for a qualified health plan.
- 60-day SEP begins: Date of your status change.
- When you can enroll: Any time during the 60-day window of your SEP once your qualifying life event is verified.
New customers: To avoid a gap in coverage you can create an account and apply at any time, even before your SEP window starts.
- When your coverage starts:
- If we received your plan selection the 1st through the 15th of the month, your coverage starts the following month.
- If we received your plan selection the 16th through the end of the month, your coverage starts the 1st of the second following month.
Be prepared to send a copy of at least one of the documents below:
- U.S. passport
- Certification of citizenship or naturalization
- Tribal Affiliation card or document
- Report of birth abroad of a U.S. citizen
- Birth certificate
- Certification of report of birth
- U.S. Citizen ID card
- Northern Marianas ID card
- Final Adoption decree
- Evidence of U.S. Civil Services employment before June 1, 1976
- Military record showing U.S. place of birth
- Section 1-1 of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 documentation
- Medical records
- School records
- Official religious records
- Federal or state census record
- DS2019 (certification of eligibility for exchange visitor status
- I-20 (certification of eligibility for non-immigrant student status)
- I-94 (arrival/departure record)
- I-327 (reentry permit)
- I-551 (permanent resident card)
- I-571 (refugee travel document)
- I-766 (employment authorization card)
- Machine-readable Immigrant Visa on unexpired foreign passport
- Temporary I-551 Stamp
- Unexpired foreign passport
- Other documents generally accepted as legal proof of citizenship or immigration status
Documents must show you gained citizenship or lawfully present status within the past 60 days. These documents must include your name, immigration status and date on which citizenship or lawful presence was gained.
How and when do I send documents?
During the SEP application process you'll be instructed on how to send verifying documents, if they are needed. MNsure must receive your documents and have enough time to process them for you to have time to select a plan before your 60-day SEP window expires.
Apply for this SEP
Follow these steps to apply for this SEP.