skip to content
Primary navigation

Gain Lawful Presence or Citizenship

You may qualify for a special enrollment period (SEP) if you gain citizenship or lawfully present status making you newly eligible for a qualified health plan.

Key Dates

  • 60-day SEP begins: Date of your status change.
  • When you can enroll: Any time during the 60-day window of your SEP once your qualifying life event is verified.
    New customers: To avoid a gap in coverage you can create an account and apply at any time, even before your SEP window starts.
  • When your coverage starts: The first day of the month following the date you select your plan.

Verification Documents

Be prepared to send a copy of at least one of the documents below: 

  • Birth certificate
  • Certification of report of birth
  • Certification of citizenship or naturalization
  • Evidence of U.S. Civil Services employment before June 1, 1976
  • Federal or state census record
  • Final Adoption decree
  • Machine-readable immigrant visa on unexpired foreign passport
  • Medical records
  • Military record showing U.S. place of birth
  • Minnesota enhanced driver’s license or enhanced identification card
  • Northern Marianas ID card
  • Official religious records
  • PASS card
  • Report of birth abroad of a U.S. citizen
  • School records
  • Section 1-1 of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 documentation
  • Temporary I-551 Stamp
  • Tribal Affiliation card or document
  • Unexpired foreign passport
  • U.S. citizen ID card
  • U.S. passport
  • DS2019 (certification of eligibility for exchange visitor status)
  • I-20 (certification of eligibility for non-immigrant student status)
  • I-94 (arrival/departure record)
  • I-94 (arrival/departure record) in unexpired foreign passport
  • I-327 (reentry permit) 
  • I-551 (permanent resident card)
  • I-571 (refugee travel document)
  • I-688 (temporary resident card)
  • I-688A (employment authorization card)
  • I-688B (employment authorization document)
  • I-766 (employment authorization card) 
  • Other documents generally accepted as legal proof of citizenship or immigration status such as:
    • Administrative order staying removal issued by the Department of Homeland Security
    • Document indicating withholding of removal
    • Form I-360 prima facie determinations
    • Office of Refugee Resettlement

Documents must show you gained citizenship or lawfully present status within the past 60 days. These documents must include your name, immigration status and date on which citizenship or lawful presence was gained.

How and when do I send documents?

During the SEP application process you'll be instructed on how to send verifying documents, if they are needed. MNsure must receive your documents and have enough time to process them for you to have time to select a plan before your 60-day SEP window expires.

Apply for this SEP

Follow these steps to apply for this SEP.

back to top