Before you start your application, complete these steps to help you prepare.
- Use our cost estimate and plan comparison tool to see what type of financial help you might receive and to compare plans side by side.
- Gather information you may need. See the list below.
- Understand common terms related to health insurance.
- Decide if you want free help from a MNsure-certified assister. If you do, find one near you and make an appointment as soon as possible.
Gather Information You May Need
When you apply for health coverage through MNsure, you’ll need to provide some information about you and your household, including income, any health coverage you currently have, and some additional items. Use the list below to help you gather what you may need to apply.
- Social Security number for each person applying
- Date of birth for everyone in household (not just those applying)
- Driver's license, Tribal ID or other ID
- For non-citizens, Green Card or other immigration documents
- Last year's 1040 tax form for each person applying
- Two most recent pay stubs for each person applying
- Documents for other sources of income (social security, unemployment, self-employment, etc.) for each person applying
- W2 form or Employer Tax ID Number (EIN) for each person applying
- Employer's address and contact information for each person applying
- Information about any employer-sponsored health insurance (ESI) available to each person applying (they don't have to be enrolled in it).
- If you currently have health insurance, know whether it meets minimum essential coverage (MEC) affordability standard. If the health insurance is through an employer, have them fill out this form (PDF).