skip to content
Primary navigation

Report Application Changes

Private health plan enrollees (private plans are also known as qualified health plans or QHPs), need to report any changes that impact enrollment in their plan and any changes that impact their eligibility for premium tax credits and cost-sharing reductions, if they applied for financial assistance.

Private plan enrollees must report changes within 30 days of the date of the change (see Rights and Responsibilities - Private Coverage).

How to Report Changes

You can assist individuals to report only certain changes using our online forms, other changes must be reported over the phone by calling the ARC or Broker Line. If you are reporting multiple changes and one of them is on the Report by Phone list below, do not use the online reporting forms as these changes must be reported over the phone. Reference table for how to report changes.

Report by Phone

  • Address change
  • American Indian/Native status
  • Citizenship correction*
  • Date of birth correction
  • Death*
  • Divorce*
  • Gain of health care coverage*
  • Loss of health care coverage - past events
  • Gender correction
  • Name correction
  • Phone or email correction
  • Pregnancy
  • Remove household member*
  • State residency
  • Tobacco status

*Requires additional processing time; other changes not marked with an asterisk (*) can be updated real time over the phone.

Report Online

Register to use the online report forms. After registering, log in.

Register   Log In

Help with registration and password resets (PDF).

back to top