Stay Safe MN
Learn more about Minnesota’s COVID-19 response and preparation.
Get the Latest Updates
Minnesotans with questions about COVID-19 should refer to the Minnesota Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control for the most current information on the status of the virus in Minnesota and recommendations for preparedness planning.
Coverage Options through MNsure During COVID-19
The American Rescue Plan expands benefits available to Minnesotans through MNsure. See frequently asked questions.
Minnesotans looking for health insurance coverage can compare plans and see if they qualify for financial help to cover the cost of insurance premiums or no-cost or low-cost health insurance either through Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare. Certain qualifying life events—such as marriage, birth or adoption of a child, or a move—may make you eligible to enroll year-round.
COVID-19 Special Enrollment Period
- MNsure is offering a COVID-19 special enrollment period for any Minnesotan who is uninsured or who is not currently enrolled in a plan through MNsure.
- This special enrollment period is open through July 16.
See if you qualify for low- or no-cost coverage.
- An individual earning up to $25,520 per year or a family of four with a combined income of $52,400 or less per year can qualify for MinnesotaCare or Medical Assistance. Enrollment in these programs is open year-round and provides comprehensive coverage.
Recently lost your employer-sponsored insurance? You may qualify to enroll.
Currently enrolled and experience a decrease in income? Update your account.
Enrolled outside of MNsure and experience a decrease in income?
- If you were enrolled in coverage outside of MNsure and a recent income decrease makes you eligible for advanced premium tax credits, you may qualify for a special enrollment period (SEP) to enroll in lower cost health insurance through MNsure.
MNsure offers comprehensive coverage.
- All plans on MNsure cover comprehensive benefits like doctor’s visits, hospitalizations, prescriptions, mental health services and more.
- All private health insurance plans sold on MNsure are waiving cost sharing for COVID-19 testing and COVID-19 in-network hospitalization through June 30, 2021. These plans also waive co-pays, deductibles and co-insurance for the COVID-19 vaccine.
Help is available.
- MNsure has a statewide network of expert assisters who can help Minnesotans apply and enroll, free of charge.
- Call our Contact Center at 651-539-2099 (855-366-7873 outside the Twin Cities).
- Use our online help tools to access frequently requested services.
- If you have questions on what your plan covers, or how to use your benefits at this important time, contact your insurance company.
COVID-19 Coverage for MNsure Enrollees
All private health insurance plans sold on MNsure are waiving cost sharing for COVID-19 testing and in-network COVID-19 hospitalization through June 30, 2021. These plans will also waive co-pays, deductibles and co-insurance for the COVID-19 vaccine.
More information about COVID-19 testing and treatment covered by these insurers.
Protect Yourself and Others from COVID-19
- Wear masks when in public.
- Get tested if you have cold or flu-like symptoms - Find testing locations.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with your elbow or sleeve, or a tissue and then throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands afterwards.
- Avoid enclosed spaces with groups of people, where the virus can linger in the air for long periods of time.
- Stay six feet away from others.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your face – especially your eyes, nose and mouth – with unwashed hands.
- Keep up-to-date - guidance is available from the Department of Health.