skip to content
Primary navigation

IRS Form 1095-A

You should receive your IRS Form 1095-A by mid-February. If you have questions about your form, see these frequently asked questions or call our Contact Center.

You can find a copy of your 1095-A form in your MNsure account.

What is IRS Form 1095-A?

If you or members of your family enrolled in a private health plan through MNsure, you will receive IRS Form 1095-A (Health Insurance Marketplace Statement). You will not receive Form 1095-A if you were enrolled in a catastrophic health plan or a dental plan only.

This form provides information that you will need to report any advanced premium tax credits (APTC) you may have received during the tax year, or to claim the premium tax credit on your annual tax return. You can keep the form as proof of your health insurance coverage.

MNsure mails IRS Form 1095-A to you and provides a copy of this information to the IRS.

If you or someone in your household received APTC, you are required to file a federal income tax return for the year in which you received them. If you do not file a federal tax return, you and your tax household will not be eligible for APTC and cost-sharing reductions in the future.

The information on Form 1095-A is used to complete IRS Form 8962 (Premium Tax Credit). This form must be filed if APTC payments were applied to your insurance premiums or if you want to claim the premium tax credit on your annual tax return.

You will get one Form 1095-A for each private health plan in which you or members of your household were enrolled during the tax year. You may receive multiple forms if you:

  • Changed plans in the middle of the year.
  • Added or removed members from a plan during the year.
  • Have members of your household enrolled in different plans.

Frequently asked questions about Form 1095-A

Additional Resources and Links

MNsure cannot give you tax advice or answer any tax-related questions. Please visit to get more information on these topics. The IRS can help answer:

  • How do I use IRS Form 1095-A to fill out my IRS Form 8962?
  • What happens if I don't file my income tax return?
  • I received a corrected Form 1095-A, do I need to amend my income tax return?
Web Resources:
back to top