Get the Latest Updates
Minnesotans with questions about COVID-19 should refer to the Minnesota Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control for the most current information on the status of the virus in Minnesota.
Coverage Options through MNsure During COVID-19
The American Rescue Plan expands benefits available to Minnesotans through MNsure. See frequently asked questions.
Minnesotans looking for health insurance coverage can compare plans and see if they qualify for financial help to cover the cost of insurance premiums or no-cost or low-cost health insurance either through Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare. Certain qualifying life events—such as marriage, birth or adoption of a child, or a move—may make you eligible to enroll year-round
See if you qualify for low- or no-cost coverage.
- An individual earning up to $25,760 per year or a family of four with a combined income of $53,000 or less per year can qualify for MinnesotaCare or Medical Assistance. Enrollment in these programs is open year-round and provides comprehensive coverage.
Recently lost your employer-sponsored insurance? You may qualify to enroll.
- If you have recently lost or will lose insurance through your employer, you may qualify for a special enrollment period to enroll in a plan through MNsure. This special enrollment period is available year-round to qualifying individuals. To enroll, you must contact MNsure and pick a plan within 60 days of losing employer coverage. To avoid a gap in coverage, you can contact MNsure up to 60 days in advance of your employer’s plan ending to begin the enrollment process.
Currently enrolled and experience a decrease in income? Update your account.
Enrolled outside of MNsure and experience a decrease in income?
- If you were enrolled in coverage outside of MNsure and experience a recent income decrease, you may qualify for a special enrollment period (SEP) to enroll in lower cost health insurance through MNsure.
MNsure offers comprehensive coverage.
- All plans on MNsure cover comprehensive benefits like doctor’s visits, hospitalizations, prescriptions, mental health services and more.
- COVID-19 coverage for MNsure enrollees. Federal law requires all private health insurance plans sold through MNsure to waive cost-sharing for COVID-19 testing and the COVID-19 vaccine. Many plans are also temporarily waiving cost-sharing for in-network COVID hospitalization. Check with your insurer to learn what coverage is available to you.
Help is available.
- MNsure has a statewide network of expert assisters who can help Minnesotans apply and enroll, free of charge.
- Call our Contact Center at 651-539-2099 (855-366-7873 outside the Twin Cities).
- Use our online help tools to access frequently requested services.
- If you have questions on what your plan covers, or how to use your benefits at this important time, contact your insurance company.
Protect Yourself and Others from COVID-19