Essential Health Benefits
Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), all plans offered on MNsure must cover these essential health benefits:
- Outpatient care you get without being admitted to a hospital, including doctor's office visits
- Emergency services
- Maternity and newborn care
- Mental health and substance use disorder services, including behavioral health treatment
- Prescription drugs
- Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices (examples: physical and occupational therapy, speech-language pathology, psychiatric rehabilitation)
- Lab tests
- Preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management (examples: blood pressure and diabetes screenings, mammograms and colonoscopies, vaccinations and flu shots)
- Pediatric services, including dental and vision care. (Plans must offer dental coverage for children, either as a stand-alone dental plan or as part of a medical plan. Dental benefits for adults are optional.)
Some plans cover more services. You’ll see more about what each plan offers when you compare plans.
In addition to these essential health benefits, all plans offered on MNsure include these consumer protections.